by: Mike Fox
Includes many never-before-published stories and photos!
“A true treasure trove of new information.” – Didier Ghez, author of Disneyland Paris — From Sketch to Reality
With Disneyland In-Depth, you’ll uncover the fascinating in-depth backstories behind more than 50 unique story elements of Disneyland, many of which are published here for the very first time. Drawn from interviews with Disney Legends Marty Sklar and Bob Gurr, numerous Disney Imagineers, intriguing Disney notables, and countless hours of in-depth research, Disneyland In-Depth takes you deeper into the fun, fascinating and historical story elements of Disneyland, including…
– Learn the story behind the “Disneyland News”, the monthly newspaper sold in Disneyland on Opening Day, July 17, 1955 – From my interview with Disney Legend Marty Sklar, the newspaper’s very first editor
– Read the first-ever publication of the complete story behind the creation of the very first Hidden Mickey
– Discover the never-before-told story of how Walt came to acquire the stately “Capitol of Disneyland” – Includes never-before-published photos
– Read about the innovative 1914 movie that influenced a young 12 year-old Walt Disney to become an animator, and how the Disney Imagineers pay tribute to this movie in Walt Disney World
– Learn about the now rare book Walt used to learn how to draw Mickey Mouse and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
– For the first-time-ever, read the complete story behind the whimsical painting of Figaro in the Village Haus restaurant – From my interview with the Disney Imagineer who painted it!
– Discover the meaning of the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor on Disneyland’s Main Street, U.S.A.
– Discover how the restoration of Walt’s beloved Lilly Belle steam engine came about in time for the opening of the Walt Disney Family Museum
– See the actual small ad Walt used to place in Miniature Locomotive magazine for a 35 cent catalog he was selling…at the height of his fame
– You’ve seen it at Disneyland, maybe even put a quarter in to watch it come to life with lively music, but now learn the history of the antique Nelson-Wiggen Orchestrion on Main Street, U.S.A.
– Read the fun story about the debut of the very first Disneyland locomotive, and learn why Walt told his Imagineers to “fix” it, because it was too perfect…as told by Disney Legend Bob Gurr
– For the first time ever, read the never-before-told story behind the medals worn by the Main Street “Cigar Store Indian” statue (You’ve never noticed them before, have you?!)
– In August of 1960, Walt Disney awarded 8 year-old Raymond Sleeper with a unique boxcar filled with 10,000 pennies for being the 10 millionth guest to ride the Santa Fe Disneyland Railroad. Now learn whatever became of Raymond, the boxcar, and all of those pennies – Told here for the very first time!
– And many more!
52 In-depth stories, complete with photos, including many of rare Disneyland items! For the true Disneyland aficionado!
Publisher: Deschutes River Press